Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Final Frames (Rate-Ology)

Numbers are a great way to make sense of the chaos that surrounds us. They are, more or less, easy to understand and we grow up with numbers everywhere.

Films are also about numbers, so is blogging (to some extend), and so is especially rating. Whether you try to describe your feelings about a book, album or film, there is always a need for numbers to sum up what you write or say. I'm not one of the brave bloggers who say no to rating, I need ratings because my thoughts can be confusing, not only for my readers but also for me. I need numbers to get myself to find out how much I liked or disliked a movie. That's why I give each film I see a number between 0.0 and 10.0. 
However, and this is what brings us here, I find the numbers rating system a little boring. It's so black and white, there's no room for humour there, only a particular number that you find fitting. Therefore, I designed a new rating system for this blog in summer 2012, which shows a fictional (ahem) character on a sofa, and her reactions when the credits of the movie roll. 

There are five ratings, which makes it easier and more understandable for both you and me, and they are related to the number rating I give the films. I don't want to tell you which numbers are connected to which picture, because that would kind of destroy the meaning of this. If you absolutely want numbers, you can find them in my monthly Happy New Month post.

Last but not least, I want to make clear that these pictures belong to me because I designed them, but if you ask me friendly you can of course use them elsewhere (not regularly, just to share them I mean, or something like that). In the following segment you can see the ratings, read their names and meanings.

LIME EXPLOSION 
Enough to make you weep.


LIME 
Just not good enough.


HYBRID 
Not good. Not bad.


STRAWBERRY 
Damn good.


STRAWBERRY EXPLOSION
To die for.


PS: The ratings have been in use a few weeks already before I wrote this, so I hope nobody is confused now. I just wanted to write an official post on them.


8 comments:

  1. I love the ratings that you have! I've been trying to think of doing ratings for my blog, too, but it is quite difficult I guess being a mixture of different things now.

    Still, your rating system is very original and I love the drawings to it! Sure I commented on it before on one of your posts, but if not, good work Mette!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you did, I just wanted to put the focus on the ratings only - they deserve a post of their own ;).

      Thank you again!

      Delete
  2. I saw them weeks ago and thought it was genius. I would imagine them as sour and sweet which makes a lot of sense. I wish I had an awesome rating system like this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much!
      That's kind of the way I meant it, yes, good to hear it's understandable. Don't worry, I changed my rating system hundreds of times and this is the first time I actually like it.

      Delete
  3. These are really great, one of my favorite voting systems among blogs I read. I am not that creative, I can only use numbers :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, you and not creative? I wish I had the time to be more creative with my design, like yours, it's so inspiring!
      Thanks :)

      Delete
  4. Serious contender for next years Lammys! I think using animated frames is a very good idea and they are really beatiful animated/drawn.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww, thanks Joel! I'm considering using the big version in posts to come but I'm not sure yet.
      Oh, and actually I wanted to submit them for this year's Lammys but didn't know I could do that myself ;)

      Delete

Let the discussion begin!