Friday, May 11, 2012

Fabulous Filmic Fashion Friday: (500) Days of Summer

    4

(500) DAYS OF SUMMER is a charming and sweet romantic comedy from the year 2009 (my movie year, remember?) that had me enchanted from the minute I put my eyes on it. As a wonderful ambassador for its genre, (500) DAYS OF SUMMER had it all - from a great crew to details that made you grin like a Cheshire cat. And before I forget: the cutest vintage-inspired costumes for the main character, Summer Finn.

These oh-so-wonderful costumes were designed by Hope Hanafin, who... isn't very known. In fact I think I've seen none of her other films. Anyway, she was nominated for the CDG Award for Excellence in Costume Design, which is perfectly understandable. Why? See for yourself...





One of the first looks we see Summer in - if I ever work in an office, this is probably what I would wear. This film inspired me to wear more blue clothing - it is such a versatile and beautiful colour. And very vintage too, just like Summer's haircut (which I also love).


One of the few non-blue outfits is the one Summer wears in the karaoke bar - except for the bow in her hair. I've always been crazy about hair bows, which most people hate - too girly perhaps? However, objectively I don't care too much about this look, but I think it looks great on Zooey in the film - except that the dresses and skirts look even better.


A very simple yet extremely elegant and summerly look. I used to wear similar outfits a lot, maybe I will do so again this summer/ spring. Long skirts are normally not a favourite, but when the waist is tight enough and the skirt itself fluffy enough, they do look very sweet.


Not surprising, many people before me have written about the adorable fashion from (500) DAYS OF SUMMER, and they were nice enough to put together a few of the outfits for me. I really dig the middle one, it looks casual with a splash of elegance. The right one is more classy, but I love it too. It looks very French to me, to be honest... updo+perfect-fluffy-skirt+vintage = amazing.


The first picture with Joseph Gordon-Levitt in it - I didn't really car for his looks in the film, as they weren't very unusual in any way. Summer's dress in this picture is very cute - summery and elegant enough for an engagement party.


As so often is the case, my favourite outfit happens to be a gala dress. It is only one of the many blue dresses in this film, but it stands out as being both the most glamorous, the mot beautiful and the cutest dress of the film (in my opinion). The blue colour, bow and shoes remind me of the Disney Cinderella, or Enchanted with Amy Adams... so very perfect.


And as an addition, I found this image on pinterest for you - isn't it just adorable?! I can't get enough of film-inspired nail design - don't you just want these nails right now?


Verdict: (500) DAYS OF SUMMER is an example of cute fashion that makes you notice, but doesn't steal too much of the show from the film itself. The costumes fit the characters and the overall style of the film - and I'm going to look out for blue clothes on my next shopping trip.


16 comments:

  1. I agree with you! I love Zooey Deschanel's style in the movie (and also in other occasions). Fitted her so well, the classic style. Aside from the soundtrack, Summer's style seems to attract many fashion lovers too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Zooey Deschanel is one of the few Hollywood people that truly have style, her looks always inspire me. I think there are many reasons why (500) Days of Summer is such a loved film, and the soundtrack and fashion are some of them - deservedly.

      Delete
  2. Great to see this film getting a positive write-up from a young woman! It seems to attract A LOT of negative vibes, mostly from women, about the whole MPDG thing, so it's lovely to find a place where I can confess to finding it sweet and entertaining. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know a lot of girls/ woman who like this film, but I guess you're right... Haha, I didn't even know what MPDG is, so I looked it up - surprised there's even a wikipedia entry about it! I think I like MPDG girls... and I don't think they're unrealistic, there are people like this...
      Anyhow, I'm happy you like the film too.

      Delete
  3. I love the fashion in this film! Especially all the blue. The costumes were basically based around Zooey Deschanel's eyes, which is so cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She has some really unusual eyes, hasn't she?! I didn't think about the fact that the fashion might be based around her eyes, but now you say so, I think you're right.

      Delete
  4. I really enjoyed this film (though I wouldn't call it a favourite) - but everything Zooey Deschanel wears is amazing! I wish I could pull it off!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can pull anything off if you like it and feel comfortable in it! Just give it a try :).

      Delete
  5. Oh I love the clothes in this. So pretty. My hair sort of resembles Zooey's now, but that's more of a New Girl influence.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I saw that on facebook - it suits you. I haven't really been following New Girl, but I might do so some time.

      Delete
  6. Great film with a very neat style. I'm glad that you picked it for your Fashion Friday. I also really like the middle outfit in that set of three pictures. Probably, my most favorite out of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that one too, hopefully I'll find something similar for the summer.
      Well, I am glad you liked my pick :).

      Delete
  7. I really loved the style of clothes in this film - I think Zooey actually wears very similiar clothers in real life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does (though she also wears other colours than blue). It really suits her.

      Delete
  8. Love this, and Summer's clothes are definitely fitting for Zooey. As Sati mentioned, they are definitely similar to the clothes she seems to wear in real life, but an added touch for her character here that works really well.

    Great seeing fashion-based posts on film blogs, something that I wanted to do (but would never get round to it, knowing me!).

    If you have seen Ghost World, you should really do a post on Enid's style! One of my favourite film characters wearing some of my 'OMG I MUST HAVE THAT' clothes, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cherokee - you don't know how happy I am to see and hear how well my fashion-based series is being receipted. I've been wanting to do something like this for a long time.

      I haven't seen Ghost World (nor heard of it), but just added it to my watchlist. Looking forward to watching it!

      Delete

Let the discussion begin!