Sunday, March 3, 2013

[12] The Upcoming Adult Presents: 18 Favourite Movie Theatre Experiences


"The theatre. That's what movies are made for", says a German ad that has been trying to get people away from streaming movies on their sofas into the actual movie theaters for years now. I have no idea whether it's working, but it's widely known that we don't go to the movie theatre as often as people did back in the industries beginnings. 
There are some good reasons for that - we have television (actually we have foreign tv shows on the internet - German tv truly sucks), we have DVDs, we have iTunes and various more or less illegal ways to watch movies. Why go to the cinema?
I've been trying to go to the cinema more often since I started getting more interested in movies, and it has worked out well so far. Nevertheless, watching movies on the silver screen is insultingly expensive, unless you go to the repertory which only shows two different movies a week... so if you want to watch the latest big movie, you have to go to the multiplex. Which is pretty big where I live, but also pretty much sucks because a) it's expensive and b) they don't show many of the movies I want to see. C) counts for both cinemas in my town: the movies are dubbed. 
But all of this doesn't stop my going to the cinema at least once a month, preferably once a week or once every fortnight. Because watching a movie on the silver screen is not comparable to even watching it on a good beamer. So it's still true: the theatre. That's what movies are made for!

Here's a selection of my favourite experiences of film in its natural habitat:




Drive
Home, repertory.
I never had such a bad conscience laughing in a theatre - it was very hard to say whether it was morally acceptable. But all the blood!


The Perks of Being a Wallflower
London, Odeon at Leicester Square. 
My first time in a movie theatre outside my home countries - without any dubbing or subtitles. It rocked! - And I cried for about half an hour of the movie.


You and Me Forever
Roskilde Music Festival, cinema tent.
We mainly just went to see it because it was so hot outside - and despite the shade it was even hotter in the cinema tent. Well, we had a good laugh at the horrible acting. Never felt that the audience agreed about everything - before this or after this.


Tarzan
Home, cinema that doesn't exist anymore.
 One of the first cinema experiences I remember... I wasn't allowed into one of the cinemas we tried, because I was under 6!


Breaking Dawn: Part Two
Home, multiplex.
 Shoot me, but I find Twilight entertaining. Not because it's particularly good - at all - but it just doesn't pretend I guess. It's enjoyable for all its faults, and the fourth part ended the franchise quite elegantly.


Finding Nemo
Small town I don't remember.
I remember the movie stopping halfway through and we had to wait for what felt like eternity. But this movie and the beautiful theatre are a wonderful memory of my childhood. 


Avatar
Varde (DK), small cinema and 2nd time home, multiplex.
Shoot me again, but I like Avatar. When I left the cinema, I swear, I had no idea where I was and what I was doing and what I wanted to do with my life.


Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Home, multiplex.
The first Harry Potter film I watched in cinema - after reading the first three books and realizing they weren't boys' movies/ books. Freaked out every time the trailer was on tv... makes me nostalgic to think of that. 


The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Home, multiplex.
The first LOTR franchise movie I watched in cinema so yeah I was pretty excited. So it wasn't as good as LOTR - whatever? It stands on its own as an entertaining piece of movie and I can't wait to see the others.


My Name Is Khan
Hamburg, Abaton.
A lot of first-timers here - this was the first Indian movie I saw in a theatre. That might be the reason for my thoughtless praising of it because I can become really enthusiastic about movies I watched in the theatre. 


The Avengers
Roskilde Music Festival, cinema tent.
Best movie party ever. People were just screaming and applauding and celebrating this movie! 


The Curious Case of Benjamin Button
Home, multiplex.
One of my dearest memories of watching a movie on the silver screen... and the first time I really allowed myself to cry in public. It also made me start taking ballet classes and... becoming more interested in movies! 


Liberal Arts
London, Odeon at Leicester Square.
Not only because of the fact that I met Abhay Deol, Arjun Rampal and Prakash Jha due to this one, it was a great movie indeed. Funny, inspiring and entertaining.


Hanyeo (The Housemaid)
Hamburg, Abaton.
The first time I went to the theatre on my own! This movie was quite disturbing, so I felt a little depressed after watching it... but it was still worth it.


Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows, Part 2
Varde (DK), small cinema.
I was heartbroken by the fact that I couldn't see this with my fellow potterhead friend and that it was the last movie - but that's what made it so special too, right? 


The Hangover, Part II
Home, multiplex.
Don't get me wrong: I don't like this movie. It was really disappointing. But watching it on the premiere night, with all of my friends, in a jam-packed cinema, after staying awake and watching movies the night before? Awesome. 


The Last Station
Home, multiplex.
The first and only time I saw James McAhhhhvoy on screen. Sometimes I'm glad the lights are out in cinema, so nobody sees you blushing. 


Hysteria/ Intouchables
Home, repertory.
First double bill - a great thing to do by the way! Except for the back aches.


What are some of your favourite movie theatre experiences?

6 comments:

  1. Hey Azkaban was the first Harry Potter film I saw in theatres as well!
    Theatres are fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool! Theaters just adds another dimension to the movies.

      Delete
  2. Hello Mette ! I've just nominated you for the Versatile Blogger Award : http://bollyblog-films.blogspot.fr/2013/03/versatile-blogger-award.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still need to see the final Twilight movie!!! I'm basically waiting for the people that are going to watch it with me (they still haven't seen the one before, grrr..). Jesus, going to theatre is really, really expensive -- especially with new tax raise around here. It's about... €7 a ticket, now. So I choose the ones I see in theatres very wisely, haha

    I think a movie experience (just in theatres) for me would be the last HP too, Shame (I was shocked out of my mind), Death Proof (first Tarantino, I was very confused but thought it was cool), The Tree of Life, all the Nolan Batman films and -- yes, I'm gonna say it -- Mamma Mia! (I was never happier).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you'll like it - in my opinion one of the best parts of the film series.
      Where I live, the usual price is 7€ but it can be much more depending on whether it's an over-length movie (most movies are nowadays, they should raise the limit), 3D or weekend. The repertory is only 3€ on Thursdays for students though! :D

      I'd have loved to see Shame on the big screen but it didn't even come near my theatre at all. The Tree of Life was great, I should've included it here. Still need to see Mamma Mia, I've read both awful and wonderful reviews on it! Love Amanda Seyfried's singing voice <3

      Delete

Let the discussion begin!