A flash of inspiration struck me the other night when I was, once again and against efforts not to, thinking about the future. Philosophy aside, I will try to make this short so you can get out there and write as soon as possible: I've been wanting to host a blogathon for ages now, but never had the courage to do it - plus I thought I had no ideas, but it turns out once you get started thinking, there are more ideas than you'd ever imagine.
The first official Lime-reviews-and-strawberry-confessions-blogathon is therefore to be started today. You probably already have an idea what it's all about, since you've read the title of this post and you're probably interested already because you're reading this post.
Here's what I want you to do:
- Sit down in a comfortable and harmonious environment such as a hot bathtub, your favourite armchair/ personal throne or a movie theatre. Make sure you will not be disturbed for a while and get all relaxed and peaceful.
- Close your eyes and let your thoughts flow freely for a couple of seconds or minutes, depending on your personal preference, then when you feel ready, think about movies.
- Don't be too specific to begin with but slowly work your way towards the darker corners of your filmic mind - the place where disappointment, frustration and anger lie hidden.
- Now involve the term "movie awards", and combine the resulting associations with the dark corners you just touched.
- When you have found the darkest, most outrageous award disappointment - also often known as snub - stop the exercise. This is what you've been looking for.
- As soon as you feel ready to put your feelings into words, open up your weblog publishing tool (e.g. blogger.com, wordpress.com) and produce a draft entitled The SONSOFBITCHES snubbed [insert actor, director, film title or similar]!. Example: The SONSOFBITCHES snubbed Leonardo DiCaprio! If you don't like to use abusive language, you're free to let out parts of this title, for example you can write "sonsofb*tches".
- There are no guidelines or restrictions for your post - all possibilities are open! You can write about snubbed cinematographers, snubbed sound technicians - one special snub or somebody who's been snubbed several times (a certain actor of that kind was a big inspiration for this blogathon).
- Finish your post between today and February 23rd and send me your link before 12pm on February 23rd. Later submissions can not be included, but don't worry, I'll send a reminder on twitter. I'd prefer if you send the link to my highly professional email address (email@example.com), but of course you can also send it to me in the comments section, on twitter or on facebook.
- Check in on February 24th to see a compilation of all post and to read which film or film person gathered most "votes" among your fellow bloggers.
- Have fun and enjoy award season - especially the Academy Awards which will be robbing all non-American film buffs' sleep that night - with all its tantrum-causing snubs.
If you're cool, you can also add this picture to your sidebar including a link to this post: