Saturday, January 15, 2011

Review: "The President Is Coming" (Satire-Goody)

THE PRESIDENT IS COMING (2009)


Director: Kunaal Roy Kapur
Author: Anuvab Pal
Starring: Konkona Sen Sharma, Shernaz Patel, Shivani Tanksale, Anand Tiwari, Namit Das, Vivek Gomber, Satchit Puranik, Ira Dubey, Imran Rashid, Paul Knox

Plot: It's the year of 2006, a special year - president of the USA, George Bush, will visit India, and one young, talented Indian is going to shake hands with him. Six candidates are chosen with the help of television, but only one can win... Who will be the chosen one: language coach Rohit, cosmetic Archana, social worker Ajay, writer Maya, rich guy Dev or software-nerd Ramesh?








Written the 29th of August 2010
When I had just seen “3 Idiots”, I somehow got used to the thought, that the Indian comedy was slowly going to evolve into something that's actually funny. I had to make up my mind again, when I watched this flick a few days later. “The President Is Coming” is by far the most funny Indian film, I've ever met. It is even considerably funnier than many of the western comedies known by me. In the beginning, it is a little confusing, that the film is described as a “documentary”. But very soon, you realize, that it's a fake documentary with a few real TV-scenes from the archive. The directing is quite unusual and fresh; many of the camera settings make you think of “Big Brother” or “Mitten im Leben” (German reality-TV) – formats that are wonderfully parroted in this film. The cast is perfectly picked and all of the actors really get into their roles (it must have so much fun filming this!). Konkona Sen Sharma is the only real “star”, but her presence does not at all keep the spotlight away from the other performers. It is kind of hard to describe this movie, or to say, what exactly is so funny about it, without ruining everything for you... America, globalization, homosexuality etc. - the film shows what's important in India at the moment, but also what's being not-said. A scene where I just freaked out, was when a TV show, called “Build-Yourself-A-Bush”, was shown. And that's how it goes on and on. Everything and everyone is being made fun of – but also in a loveable kind of way. I slowly got sympathized by the traditional macho type, and at the end even by the horrible, psychotic group leader.

"The President Is Coming” is a modern Indian satire, a first-class one.
Intellectual, but not too much, so that it can still be commercial, but miles away from the 0/8/15 comedies á la Akshay Kumar. (Whom I do like, but he often picks the wrong movies).
A little satirical masterpiece!

Rating: 7.9









Thank you for reading my review,
Mette M. K.

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like something I would enjoy! Thanks for the recco, I'll get it on my next spree!

    Koko seems to be doing a lot of these off-beat roles lately, but I always enjoy her in them, so I'm sure the price of the DVD will be worth it just for that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Dolce and Namak: I'm glad I could help you!

    ReplyDelete

Let the discussion begin!