Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Song of the Month (June 2011)

Almost since the very begin of this blog, I've had a Gadget called "The Month", where I choose a Song of the Month and a Movie of the Month - each month. It is always a song, and a movie, that I've listened to a lot/ seen the previous month, and that I'm just crazy about.

Because I always write at least one sentence (mostly much more) about every film I've seen in the previous month at the start of the new month (I'm not confusing anyone, am I?), I didn't find it necessary to make a whole post out of Movie of the Month. (Read about this month's movie, Devdas (2002) here).
However, Jack had the idea, that I could write about the songs I choose every month - you know, thoughts on them, and the reasons I choose them.

Why didn't I think of that? I love music, but it happens that I love a lot of things at the same time, so it's hard to write about all of those things (I even often think that I don't write enough about films).
Anyways, one post a month? I think I can handle that.

So, let me present to you, the Song of the Month, June 2011:

The Sound of Silence
by
Simon & Garfunkel (Soundtrack of "The Graduate)


There are two versions of this song, one is more calm and acoustic, while the other one has some more instruments and is a bit "louder". Both are used in the film, but the last one more frequently. 

Here's the last one I mentioned:



I can't find the acoustic version on youtube, but you can buy it or listen to it on iTunes.

Both versions are awesome, but I think that the acoustic version is just a little, tiny bit better, because it... it really comes from the heart, do you know what I mean? (Though it sounds corny, yes, I know).

And after some time, when you've listened to the song like... 10 times or more, and you look up the lyrics... you will be even more enchanted of this masterpiece, and in awe of the two musical Gods that wrote and sung this song (I'm not sure if they also composed it...), because the lyrics are so poetic and true, and... awesome. Simply awesome.

My classmates were quite annoyed by the song - it appears a lot in the film, and every time it did, you could hear sighing from every corner of the room. After we finished the film, some went like "Yeah, great movie, ya know, awesome soundtrack..." and stuff like that (I mean, they said it in a very sarcastic way), while I was still up in the air/ the movie... (Oh, I forgot that, in case you didn't know: we watched the film in English class, in school).
It has been a really long time since I've been so obsessive about a song... Of course, I often find music that I love and listen to a lot, but it's not like this most of the time... 
I'm not an expert concerning love and all that, but I think you can be truly in love with a song, maybe even more than a film...

Here are some of the songs I've been falling in love with over the past few years:

Acoustic version of "Thinking of You" that Katy Perry sang at the KISS FM Spring Live Lounge (before she became famous).


Katy Perry is one of my favorite singers, but her new album is kind of crappy. Her voice has been modified in every song, and most of the songs seem so fake, just mediocre pop-crap.
The first album is wonderful, but the very best is when she sings her old songs live...
Straight from the heart (here it is, again).

"Never Think" by Robert Pattinson (please ignore the video, just listen)


You can discuss Twilight, even I don't think they're good films, I mean... they're just candy, if you get that... You can also discuss Robert Pattinson, and I understand that a lot of people don't like him, also because they've mostly not seen more of his films, except for... Twilight.
But this song. This song is wonderful, just wonderful.
And I won't discuss that.

----------------------------------------------

Writing about music wasn't as hard as I had imagined, though I haven't really written that much.
So, what do you think - do you like this new feature? Would you like me to write more about the songs, or are there any other improvements you can think of? I'd like to hear all of your thoughts.

Thank you for reading,
Mette M. K.

7 comments:

  1. Great post, this is definitely a feature you should keep. In fact I'm thinking of doing something similar on my blog... I'm not exactly sure how to do t yet though.

    Anyway, I really like Simon and Garfunkel's music in The Graduate, I actually thought it was the best thing about the film. It was a really brilliant piece, such a shame the others in your class didn't appreciate it. But that's what happens when you like "old" things I suppose.

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Jack L: Thank you - I think you should do that... It was even your idea.
    Yes, the music is the best thing about the film, though the film is also good.
    Hm, it's not only that you "just don't like old things", but also that you "just don't like things you do in school (books, films etc.)... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, I see what you mean.
    I never really had that problem though because we never watched films, read books or listened to music in the school I went to... Unfortunately.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @ Jack L: That must have been a very boring school... But I've heard that schools in France were very strict, though I don't know of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yep, a very boring school indeed.
    You're right, schools here are very strict.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love sound of silence, a classic. Good idea for a monthly post, I'll keep an eye out for more music in future! I kind of do the same thing on my blog weekly with "Songs for your ipod", I should really write more about each video like you do, I guess I leave it to my "listeners" ( :
    Advice, hmmm, maybe write what you think of the lyrics, or the musicians? I try and share songs that I feel hold up to repeat listening. My "theme" for last few months is 2010 music. I've done "events" such as songs from Scandivania. Often I post by genre, or artist. I once did music to listen to when stressed at work, haha. Or boats on album covers ( :

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ moviesandsongs365: Thank you for your advice, I'll think about it, when doing my next post. :)

    ReplyDelete

Let the discussion begin!