Friday, February 24, 2012

One Night, One Cinema - Two Films

There's a first time for everything, isn't there?

Hysteria (2011) & Intouchables (2011)

Watching two films after each other in the cinema was an unthinkable thing to do for me - until quite recently, when me and two friends decided that we had to see the two films that were running in the repertory the next week. So yesterday we went, and I tell you: it was fun.

This might be due to the films we saw, which were comedies (the first one especially), but really: it didn't feel odd in the slightest. It was more like a DVD-night in public, to a certain point. 

As mostly in the repertory, the films were current indies, and as mostly I felt utterly happy to be able to see them. While there has been a lot of talking about Intouchables (which was also released in our multiplex, that's why), I'd probably never seen Hysteria if it weren't for our awesome little cinema.
Why has nobody made a film about the invention of the vibrator before? That is one of the best ideas for a comedy I have ever heard of. Certainly, there were some holes in the script and a few odd scenes, but in a nutshell it was pure fun - I haven't laughed that much for a long time. My risible muscles were truly sore. 

Intouchables however, played on a totally different level. Firstly, it was much more emotional than the previous, more realistic and also profounder. Secondly: Omar Sy is a man you ought to keep an eye on. His performance had many layers and facial expressions and body language were impressively unique. The film on a whole was a very fitting mixture of realism and vision or inspiration, there were scenes where the audience laughed its hearts out, and others were it kept the tissues near. All of this, I realize, sounds like the description of a fairly original film, but there is something quite special about Intouchables. It is a film that might inspire you to do things you've never done, but also one that might make you feel very content about your life and being. It shows what wonderful people live "beneath" and "above" the middle class - us, if I'm allowed to say that - and... well, some other great philosophic stuff. You know what I'm trying to say - it just sounds so worn out when I'm putting it into words.

Conclusion: 
  1. Watching a double feature in cinema is great.
  2. If you need a light and extremely funny comedy, watch Hysteria.
  3. If you need a great current film, watch Intouchables.
  4. If you have the possibility, watch both films in the same cinema, the same night.



Have you been to a double feature in cinema? What are your experiences?

6 comments:

  1. I have not seen a double feature at cinema, only at home ( :

    From the trailer, Intouchables looks to be a memorable depiction of friendship. I don't know Omar Sy, maybe as you say he is a star of the future

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Try it then, if you have the chance! I guess it's best to do it with friends.

      I hope Omar Sy has a good future ahead of him, I would be glad to see more of him.

      Delete
  2. What a coincidence, I just did a double bill at the cinema with my sister last week too.

    Did you hear that Omar Sy just beat out Jean Dujardin for Best Actor at the French Oscars? I'm going to have to see Intouchables ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sound pretty incredible, even though I haven't seen The Artist yet! (Which I am going to, ASAP :)).

      Delete
  3. Loads of times. Until the mid fifties all cinemas showed two films. Plus, in the middle, the news. I'm 77 and I can't remember what term they used for the 2nd film. The 2nd film came first, then the news, then the main film. Sometimes (1944/45) they were interrupted by air raid sirens, but few left the cinema.
    Regards
    Brian Worts

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing this, Brian - I'd never heard of that.
      Sometimes I wish I was able to go back in time and just spend a day or two there... the fifties would be interesting. I'd certainly go out and watch a movie.

      Delete

Let the discussion begin!